Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fishing Card

     Well, the centerpieces are done, finis!  I wanted to post a picture of the teens with finished product, but I forgot to get permissions, so here is a fun photo of some of the vases.


     So, moving on, today I made a card for a friend's father, in his 90's. He is in a Nursing Home and enjoys getting cards and since he use to like to fish, I decided to make a nostalgic fishing card. It's an A2 card (5 1/2 x 4 1/4 inches), which I matted with a 5 1/4 x 4 inches piece of maroon card stock, that I embossed with the Sizzix Texturz Texture (I know it sounds redundant to me too) Plates Kit #2, design Diamonds after rounding the corners on the bottoms of both pieces. I then used the Expression with Accent Essentials cart to cut the Label shape at 3 3/4 inches. It's titled Shape #48 in the handbook and you use the shift key to get the filled in shape. The paper is Gartner Studios, BonVoyage - World Map, available from Hobby Lobby.  I made sure I featured the midwest, because that was where he lived. I did this by test cutting with typing paper and then just removing the cut image, without removing the mat, I had the blade return to the next line, and putting the piece I wanted to cut in place of the cut image with the area I wanted to be sure to showcase, showing through the hole. You should remove the typing paper at this point. I then moved the blade horizontally to the right and had it repeat last. The fishing boy is from  the Cricut cart, A Child's Year and is cut at 3 1/4 inches form Recollections Neutral card stock collection with a black shadow. I added the buttons, tied with doubled thread, since I couldn't find my black floss and the twine color I have doesn't go with the card.


     On the inside I matted it with black cut at 5 1/4 x 4 inches and patterned card stock from Recollections called Time Frame Second Hand Argyle Dark, cut at 5 x 3 3/4inches. I did the sentiment digitally using Lettering Delights's Shelly Script. The font is sized at a large 36 to help him read it. That piece is cut at 4 3/4 X 3 1/2. I stamped the 2 candles with a stamp from Hero Arts's set Cupcakes. The flames are colored with a yellow glitter Starlightz pen and a pinkish-red Gelly Roll pen at the center of the flame. The stripes on the candles are a peach colored watercolor pencil by Staedler. I used it just like a colored pencil though. It was the only thing I had to lightly color the candle in the colors of the card.


     What I would change? I'd remember to round the corners of the  black mat and the diamonds paper before gluing them together on the inside ;- )  I'm not sure about the buttons. They looked needed when I laid it out, but after everything was glued on I wondered if I shifted things and did I really need them. I do like the pattern on the big button, which is hard to see (maybe if you enlarge it.) It kind of matches the diamonds. I should have used card stock instead of printer paper on the inside, because I can see the pattern through it. I'll need to remember that next time. Well, thanks for looking and spending your limited time her. Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

linda kay beck said...

THanks so much Debbie... I know Dad will love it! Linda

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

OMGOSH....these are both awesome....love love the center piece and I have a big place in my heart for anything to do with fishing,especially a little boy!